May 10 Day of Action Against Corporate Personhood
When the Supreme Court decided for corporations in theCitizens United v. FEC case, it elevated knowledge of the doctrine of “corporate personhood” to new heights. Hundreds of thousands of people now know what those words mean.
But as awful as Citizens United is, corporate personhood wasn’t created with that case. Corporate Personhood was concocted by corporate lawyers 127 years ago.
On May 10, 1886 in the Santa Clara v. Southern Pacific Railroad case, the Court is said to have given corporations their first foothold in the Constitution.
In the case, corporations argued they are protected under the 14th amendment — the amendment passed to ensure equal protection of African Americans after slavery was abolished. Since then, there has beencase after case in which the Court expanded the Constitutional “rights” of corporations.
This year and last Move to Amend volunteers held protests on the anniversary of Citizens United. But as you know, Move to Amend is about going to the root of the problem, not just that one case. Our We the People Amendment will not only overturn Citizens United, it will get corporations out of the Constitution altogether, and make clear that money is not free speech.
This year, on the 127th “birthday” of corporate persons, Move to Amend activists will be displaying freeway banners all over the nation.
Let’s get some attention! Doesn’t matter if your town is big or small, as long as there is a road going through it, we need your help with this totally legal action!
- March 5, 2013 Webinar Recording (action overview and steps to get started)
- Webinar Slides
- Details about Past MTA Bannering
- Instructions for Creating a Banner (PDF) (from our friends at Backbone Campaign)
- Banner Letter Templates (PDF) (from our friends at Backbone Campaign)
- Bannering Tips and Details from Backbone Campaign
- Another option: overpass light brigade instructions for nighttime signs — video and tutorial
- (New!) Media Advisory Template (Word Doc) — send Monday, May 6 to local media outlets to ensure best chance for coverage of your action. Make follow up phone calls to ensure that your Advisory was received and to pitch reporters to attend your action.
- (New!) Press Release Template (Word Doc) — send first thing in the morning Friday, May 10 (or Thursday night) to local media outlets. If your banner display is early Friday include a photo, or follow up later in the day with a photo and a reference to your press release. Follow up on your photo and press release right after your action (or from your action) to ensure receipt of your press release and pitch reporters on covering your event.
- resmc likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from sustainableprosperity
- theliberaltony reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- valariedickey reblogged this from liberalmusings
- valariedickey likes this
- liberalmusings reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- pukefacedogmaster reblogged this from hairtrending
- pukefacedogmaster likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- smallercliffs likes this
- eccenohomo reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- jilli1205 reblogged this from kp777
- jilli1205 likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- kp777 reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- kp777 likes this
- veganbutt reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- compelledinfidel likes this
- faunslabyrinth reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- occupybrewcity reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- thalensis likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from silas216
- har-megiddo reblogged this from silas216
- remindingmysoul reblogged this from silas216
- har-megiddo likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias likes this
- silas216 likes this
- ociko-h likes this
- guyfromkcmo reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- guyfromkcmo likes this
- oldparasitesingle reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- skunkcrust likes this
- anontwo likes this
- blakyokojones likes this
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- ratonhnhake likes this
- bohemianarthouse reblogged this from cultureofresistance
- cultureofresistance reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- satanic-capitalist reblogged this from sustainableprosperity
- sustainableprosperity posted this